Monday, June 04, 2007

The Rising Of The Sides, And The Kiwi Kayak Debacle--

Drifting around the Internet today like a rotten log afloat in a swollen marsh, it occurred to me that I needed to have more trouble in my life. I’m too easy going and I don’t have any real complaints that raise my blood pressure and make me want to rant and rant and rant.

Just being alive has always been enough of a miraculous thing for me to keep me numbly smiling, and so my attention doesn’t always notice the horrific things going on in my life, which means YOU don’t get to wallow with me, and commiserate, and help me bemoan.

Which makes me an Internet party pooper of sorts.

So to join in the fracas, I’d like to tell you about my rising center of gravity.

Yes. I know, it’s horrible, isn’t it? And there seems to be no end to the migration in sight. The legs get thinner and thinner. The buttocks fades from its glory days, and the zone between the solar plexus and the spot where a belt is supposed to cinch up, just keeps growing and growing. Add to that the chubby cheek syndrome, and the fat that wants to cling to once taught pectoral protuberances, and you can see why I am so distraught.

IT ALL MAKES ME SO EFFING INCREDIBLY ANGRY!!!

Mum has a little yellow kayak that she brought up with her from California. It’s called a Kiwi kayak, and I am sure, many of you have either seen one or paddled around in one. They are pretty small, and cute, and are great for an amusing afternoon paddle down at the lake or in a relatively calm flowing river.

I used to grab Mum’s Kiwi kayak all the time, and just throw it in the water and goof around in it. It was always too small for me, and one time, four or five years ago, caused me some humorous consternation when I took a small dog with me out on to the lake that is nestled a block away from Mum’s house. I put the dog on my lap, and paddled around for twenty minutes or so, heading out into the center of the lake where I started to notice my legs falling asleep.

There was nothing I could do, I barely fit in the little thing, and I had a 30 pound dog on top of my thighs.

I felt the tingle turn to absolute dead-limbs about five minutes before I even got to shore. When I pulled up in shallow water to a picnic area, the damn dog jumped off my lap and started chasing around the ducks and geese. There were people getting upset by this, and I thought I better do something to stop it. I leaned over and fell out of my little kayak, and just lay there in the mud. I had ZERO feeling in my legs. I was a paraplegic for all intents and purposes. I had to crawl in the mud with my hands and arms, dragging my extra long and skinny legs behind me like… well, a paraplegic.

People were watching me, and their yelling at me for letting my dog run wily-nilly (it was my girlfriend’s long-haired Sharpei, which had no clue about hurting ducks and geese) turned to silent swallowing of what they had just yelled at me, for now they all felt bad, seeing me come in without the use of my legs and all.

I felt like a seal coming in for my fish. I pulled myself and my little kayak out of the mud and up the bank, and yelled at the damn dog, which had no business chasing ducks and geese.

“Mutz! Get over here!”

Mutz was too busy running from a disgruntled goose to care about what I was yelling.

I could feel my legs going into that painful tingly mode. I could also feel the eyes of about thirty people, most of them warmly drunk on afternoon beer in the park, watching me.

I thought I had enough feeling in my legs now to stand, but when I tried, I toppled down pretty hard on my shoulder. I slapped at my painful tingly legs some more, and sat up, and then tried again to stand.

This time, I was able to get on my feet, but I was surely wobbly. I walked around in circles, the miracle of feelings coming back to me, the crowd of people watching me thinking all manner of absurd and religious thoughts…

I took wobbly steps that led to some not so wobbly steps. In my anger over the dog not obeying me, I found myself running full speed at that damn dog who wouldn’t listen to me, catching her by surprise (and dropping a few jaws, I am sure.)

But that’s not what I wanted to tell you about.

No.

I wanted to tell you about TODAY. This day. And my horrifically rising center of gravity.

When Mum and I went to Walmart, I brought home a nice model to play with in my pool. I also brought home a 50 dollar life jacket, a good one, an XXXL with adjustable straps.

I had never worn life jackets much, even when I should have, because they had always been too small, and I had always been too sure of myself and all of that nonsense.

But for some reason, when I saw them hanging in the sporting goods section (where I have all of my existential moments), I decided it was time for me to own a life jacket that actually held my mouth and nose out of the water.

I knew I wanted to get out on the lake and paddle around in that Kiwi kayak, and so, as I usually did while in the sporting section of a store, I made plans and purchases to profoundly change my life.

Today was one of those weird June days where a storm front was moving through. Instead of 90 degrees or more, it was 65. We got some warm rain around 2 o’clock, which is important, because I got a ride down to the lake at quarter to two. Mum’s husband was heading into town to do banking and drug buying. I threw the kayak in the back of his truck and hitched a ride down the half- mile or so to the lake’s edge.

I put on my new fifty dollar life jacket, set the kayak on a small berm so that I could get into it and slide down mud into the water thereby staying dry and looking pretty gosh darn cool.

I got in the kayak (just barely) and grabbed the kayak paddles and pushed off and slid in the shallow water and turned upside down.

Crap!

I was wet now, including my T-shirt and life jacket. Fine. I can handle wet. I got into the kayak carefully, my legs pressing against all sides unmercifully, and off I went.

I’m built for kayaking. I got skinny legs and really strong shoulders and arms. I can scoot. I can skedaddle. I can really motor with a paddle and a kayak.

The trouble was, my goddamn center of gravity!

Yes!

It had crept upward, like I said, and I could not for the life of me settle in and get a good rhythm going. I felt like I was constantly trying to keep my bottom from becoming my top and vice versa. My paddling amounted to a kind of desperate flailing, with each stroke pushing my top back upright, keeping my bottom down where it belonged. I motored along alright, heading straight out into the center of the lake ( I was going to cross the lake for exercise) and then it happened.

The inclement weather meant that there were no other people on the lake. It was just me and my new life jacket and my too-small-for-me Kiwi kayak and my big shoulders motoring along, trying to keep my balance…

I saw it coming the way a sailor would. The extra-rough ripples. The tell-tale arced line.

A gust of wind was heading in my direction. A fairly big gust, by the looks of it.

I concentrated on getting my nose pointing right into it. I was way too high-gravity for any other action.

But I failed. I must have been 5 degrees off of centered into the wind. The wind felt like a 25 mph healthy and heavy gust. Great and a lot of fun for sailing. Not so good when you are way too tall and heavy for the little kayak you are crammed into.

The nose of my kayak shifted a little to the side, and I was blown straight over into the water.

Yes. Dumped out, right into the middle of the lake. There was no one around. Just me and my life jacket and my paddle and my little Kiwi kayak, that I could not, for the life of me, get back into.

I spent well over ten minutes hopping up onto this little plastic toy, trying to get into it as it rolled over and dumped me over and over. I was getting huge mouthfuls of green icky bass fishing water full of blue-gill poop. I was feeling pretty silly and desperate and eventually exhausted.

There was nothing for me to do, but to lay back in the water in my new jacket, and swim to shore.

I swam in the direction the wind was blowing me. I leaned against my new life jacket and relaxed. After twenty minutes of frog kicking and tugging on my Mum’s ridiculous little toy, I got ashore.

I climbed out of the water and the rain started coming down heavy.

I walked home carrying the damn kayak while flipping and flopping in my flip-flops in the rain.

Mum’s husband was going to swing by the lake and pick me up in another hour.

Mum was surprised to see me.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I got too damn big for your kayak!” I answered.

“Let me get a picture, then!” she suggested.

“Oh what the hell! Why not?” I said.

It would give me something to complain about, on the Internet.

ADDENDUM- Here Is Another Kayaking Tale- Jonnie D. And The Over-Inflatable Tahiti

25 comments:

LadyBronco said...

It's not that you're too big for the kayak ~ it looks like you are about two feet too tall for the thing.

Are you sure it's not kiddie-sized?

Oh, wait ~ is it one of them plastic models that chafe?

Schmoopie said...

It looks like our 4 ft 10 inch daughter would fit nicely in that particular kayak! :) How tall are you?

singleton said...

OMG! The lifejacket is bigger than the boat! But I'm kind of thrilled with the punchline, I was afraid you bought the jacket for the pool! I mean......I did!

Cheesy said...

I'm thinking this is an easy fix my friend.... You need a 2 person kayak and a gurlie with some booty..***holding my hand up****...It will all even out!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

That was hilarious! Love the story and passed it on to my B&L who kayaks...he'll get a hoot out of it too.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeannie said...

I just wish there had been a video...
My Dad made a kayak - wood frame and canvas - I loved that thing - it didn't turn worth shit but it could move!

Maybe a larger kayak is in order...now that you have the life jacket and all.

Sucks to get older - been noticing myself that the buttocks are shrinking and the gut growing.

Scott from Oregon said...

Lady B- That kayak served my Mum well for years. She was 5-9. What really chafes me is that I no longer fit in the little guy.

schmoopie- 6-3 and some change. I USED to fit!

cheesy- I think you are on to something! I'm thinking jonnie D. would be much better than you, at the ballasting thingy.

Thanks Mushy. What's a B&L?

jeannie- I love the really long and pointy kayaks that have room for my legs. can really motor on one of those.

kario said...

Well, you look pretty comfy in it while it's sitting in the grass - perhaps you should stick to that ;-)

Or on your next trip to WalMart, get a bigger kayak? Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it good to have minimal sturm and drang?

?

You do look entirely too tall for that kayak.

Nikky said...

OMG!! Am I the only one who got a "what about bob?" flash when that pic scrolled into view?

Scott, in this pic, (especially with the life jacket) you look just like Bill Murray in What About Bob?!!!!

and yes, it does look like a kids' kayak!

meno said...

Odd, my ass is definitely not shrinking as i get older.

I have cheater Kayaks, they are the pedaling ones from Hobie Cat, that way i don't have to paddle unless i want to. They would fit you too as i am 6'1".

Jill said...

That last picture is priceless! So that's the look a person has on their face after swallowing a gallon icky green bass-fishing water. I think I'll pass. :)

Cheesy said...

What I may lack in Jonnie D. butt I make up for in attitude! And LMAO LMAO I so see the bill Murray resemblence!

LadyBronco said...

I'm sailing!

I'm sailing!

Oh...can't stop laughing at the image of Bill Murray tied to the mast of that boat!

lu said...

Ha!

I'm one of those complainers--I use the internets to decompress, I'm a whiner deluxe on these here internets. You frequent some of my favorite blogger pals, I noted your no whining stance and so I just lurk and sqwench my mouth wishing I could just feel lucky to be alive and tell cool stories. It kinda pissed me off--not directed in your direction, but the fates. So, short opinion long--Thanks for sharing your consternation, even if it is a stretch.

david mcmahon said...

G'day Scott,

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving your comment on the Passing Sentence game.

I've posted a reply - food for thought.

It's been a while since I've been in a kayak. But hey, I'm 6'3'' as well so it ain't easy...

So is a kayak a canoe? And if so, is it good grammar to see ``Anything I canoe, you canoe better''!

Cheers mate

David

Anonymous said...

Scott, this is a classic. Got a good hoot out of it.

Irene said...

So now, how could I ever spot a kayak without immediately thinking of you? ;p

That was very entertaining! Loved it!

slaghammer said...

I think it would work just fine if you cut the hole a little bigger and strap on some pontoons for stability. You might try pontoons on the boat as well. Ohhhh yeah, you didn’t see that one coming, did you?
Regarding your rising center of gravity, make it work for you. When you figure out a way to do that, let me know, for I too have fallen hard into geezerhood.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I just had to google Kiwi Kayak. We just know them as kayaks.
I have a couple of ocean kayaks. You get a wet ass, but you don't have to worry about getting stuck.
Unless we're talking about getting in and out of my old wetsuit...

Bernita said...

Drama Queen!

Scott from Oregon said...

Hi y'all! To add insult o injuring, I am now pouring alcohol and white vinegar into each ear to try and stave off massive ear infections, which I am prone to get when dirty bass water enters my head through the ears...

irene! They let you out!

Unknown said...

I don't know when I laughed harder, as you dragged yourself through the mad and the ducks, or you tried to re-cram yourself into the that itsy-bitsy kayak...You are nothing if not determined. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Hope the blue goo didn't make poo-poo...I know, bad taste.

Yeah, I guess you could be Bill Murray's cousins son's youngest brother, maybe..

Unknown said...

that's mud and the ducks, though, I dare say, the ducks were mad..

Tammie Jean said...

Sorry, but that image of you flopping up onto the shore like a seal is hilarious! Love your stories :)