Monday, May 14, 2007

Somebody Else

I was sneaking my Mum's heart-shaped picture back into her nursing book, when I ran into these. Mum has got photos hidden all over, it seems.

Ever look at an old version of yourself and just roll over and over with laughter?

I do. I looked at these and just jelly-bellied into some quivering goofy giggles.

Lord, look at that beer shake rattle and roll in there!

Man, I am more than twice that guy's age and he was old enough to get in trouble, to be sure...

I remember the day vividly. A very gay Australian named Mark took my California buddy James and myself out to this place he had seen from a Tokyo train he rode everyday. He told us where to stand, how to pose. He put all sorts of make-up all over my face and he fiddled with my hair.

The whole thing felt like an amusing lark to James and I, but Mark took all of this seriously. He was trying to break into the biz, you see...

James and I were two college-aged dudes in Japan on a lark.

Some of these photos ended up in Mark's "Book" and because of this day, James went on to make about 30,000 in four months of standing around doing this...

These pictures made me want to ask all of you thoughtful souls out there, whether or not you EVER have felt like the visage you are?

Do you ever feel to yourself the way you look to others or yourself in the mirror?

When you see pictures of yourself, do you ever think "That's me!" Or do you think "THAT'S ME?"

Ink Wiring Mimes want to know...

15 comments:

Bernita said...

I've never figured out how I looked to others.

Jeannie said...

Some pictures look too good to be me and some look too bad to be me. Sometimes others do not recognize that the picture is of me. Those are usually the good ones.

I'm with bernita - I don't really know how I look to others either. My brothers said I was ugly so much I believed them - sort of twisted what I saw in the mirror so I just don't know.

Those are great pictures of you - whether they look like you or not - you cleaned up well.

Lizza said...

Cool photos, Scott!

I'm totally with you on the second to the last paragraph of your post. I say the same thing when I see a photo of me. :-D

skinnylittleblonde said...

Va-va-voom! ;)
Lol, I remember in the 80's I saw a pic of me with blue eye-liner and 'what is and what should never be' took on a whole new meaning. LOL. I usually make goofy faces when the camera gets pulled out, as I'm not real photogenic... you fellows sure are though.

kario said...

Wow - great photos! Thanks for sharing.

I am often amazed at what I look like, even in the mirror, because I frankly don't spend much time thinking about it.

The other thing that freaks me out is to hear my recorded voice. It is so hard to believe that that is me, sounding all nasal and strange.

little things said...

You amazingly gorgeous hunk o'man! Wow. And I am so glad to read further along, and know that that dude with the pair of poopers isn't really you now. WHEW!

Anonymous said...

First of all you look HAWT in those photos. I mean. HAWT!! Make a southern girl fan the fan a little harder.

When I see a picture of myself I usually cruitique it pretty badly then say oh well that's me, hope somebody likes it.

singleton said...

well, I agree with SLb....
Va-Va-Voom!

Schmoopie said...

Did he break into the business with those photos? He should have. They are great!

Scott from Oregon said...

Nobody contemplates the their external visage and compares it to their internal self?

Hi Schmoopie! You guys get away from Mickey yet? Yes, he got himself a good book together and then a pretty good gig in Tokyo. He was half Japanese and half Australian, and fit into the cityscape pretty good both places. I lost touch with him a few months after these were taken...

Cheesy said...

Well~well now Mr GQ! lol

Sometimes I just forget what I look like in real life. About the only time I look into a mirror is after shower while brushing out the mop...So I suppose I think of myself as all wet? I'm afraid I am not a slave to much grooming other than the ring of fire hair. I already know I am short, strong and not much of a dresser lol. If people don't like what they see ... oh well~~ I know I have a good heart. But sometimes I wish I was outside beautiful just for one day...is that shallow or what?

LadyBronco said...

I don't like looking at pictures of myself.
I am too overly critical, and I just don't think I photograph well at all.

Nikky said...

I have a real hard time with pics of me. I don't look like that, really...do I?

I picture myself as I was maybe... 15 years ago. Yeah, at 19, no stretch marks, about 30 lbs lighter. So it always shocks and scares me to see pics of me. ("Holy crap, why didn't anybody tell me I'm getting fat!?")

You, Scott, are just yummy! I certainly hope your photog friend made a good career out of these, too!

Jean said...

I like what I see in the mirror... I hate what I see in photos... looks like two entirely different people.

Unknown said...

Whenever I see I photo of myself, I say, Jesus Christ, and no, its not because we favor one another.

These photos are very professional, in my opinion. You must have been 13, or so.