Monday, March 26, 2007

Reams And Reams And Reams And Reams Of Cyber Pile Ups



The political cyber-world has always held an odd fascination for me. I liken it to picking pimples during adolescence. You KNOW what you are doing is not good for you, at worst, and unhelpful, at best, and yet, there you are, leaning over a bathroom vanity, wiping away the steam, digging dirty fingernails full of bacteria into your skin...

Such is the life of the mentally unchallenged. Such is the new paradigm in American political wrangling. Two never-before-met individuals, going head to head with typed and inserted rhetoric, arguing vehemently over every “issue” that has been deemed politically relevant; while side-winders and just-showed-ups toss in their two cents and take sides and the words spin round and round like petals in a dust devil, slowly traveling off to some unseen place where they simply fall to the ground and become irrelevant.

I suppose one could argue that the clash of ideas is a healthy, advantageous enterprise. That the debates held by cyber-citizens are helping to shape the national consciousness. That cyber-world wars are creating enormous piles of human thought, never before seen on planet earth.

The giant “GIST OF THINGS” held in cyber-perpetuity, for all to google...

A massive amalgamation of what’s on everybody’s minds...

That sort of “witness” to some great spectacle we are all participating in...

Sure. I’ll buy that. Cyber-politics is definitely piling up. The reams of participants are unfurling from the roll, and the list of soap-boxers and evangelists, of new worlders and government haters filling up blogger memory is growing like a renegade rumor in a sweat shop.

With soap boxes as easy to attain as giving out your secondary email address and a quick trip through “creating your template”, everybody and his grandma seems to be sharing their political butt cracks to a world not quite intolerant, and partially mesmerized. A bounce around the internet will yield far more political inanities than a bag of precious marbles, and yet here we all are, tossing out our perspectives like the professors we were once forced to intellectually mimic for a grade, all sounding suspiciously similar, all pushing forth with 90% gravy, six percent vegetables, and four percent too marbled beef.

The whole cyber-stew is starting to taste like an old boiled boot, and yet here I am, (or here I was), adding my salt to taste. Ever catch yourself acting in a manner that you deep down mind? Ever join in a chorus sung by a crowd, when you know you all sound REALLY REALLY bad?

(If this post seems senselessly trivial and lacking in significant direction and depth... well, welcome to the internet! I filled out my blogger forms and set up my template, and I’ve got these awesome opinions to bestow upon my fellow cyberers, and nobody can stop me! I am an uncensored heroic afterthought! Watch me work the crowd!)




I've been feeling in a stange political groove the last couple of days.

So feel free to call me a "maroon" and whack my beliefs with your giant peepee if you've got one.
Or add your two cents if you'd rather not...

It's all cool. Really.

It's the cyber-world.

9 comments:

none said...

I've found through blogging that I can have friends with beliefs that are quite a bit different than mine and reasoning that doesn't jive with the way my thought processes work. As long as it doesn't get spittle flinging and respect is maintained I can see past the differences of opinion and take the person as a whole.

I'm an odd amalgamation of experiences, with liberal democrat upbringing that has formed me into a socially conservative anarchistic
"live and let live" type person who agrees with everyone a little bit.

I think the way people talk about politics on the internet is healthy overall if one keep a somewhat open mind at least listens to the spirit of what is being said.

Missy said...

I am all in favour of intelligent, informed political discussion. That seems to be in short supply on the internet, however. I tend to ignore a lot of it because there is so much crap out there.

Jeannie said...

Since people have their opinions anyway - I'd rather have them pile up on the net than have to listen to them all at once. It gets noisy.
I haven't actually seen much give and take discussion. I've only seen the equivalent of "Chop off their heads" when someone disagrees. Very little tolerance.

You'd think the liberals would get a clue that people really aren't nice at all. Including them.

kario said...

Well, at least we can count on you to have some unique ways of describing the situation, Scott! Methinks you're in desperate need of some new travel agenda - get out into the "Real World" and rack up some new experiences to write about.

The great thing about the web is that you can just skip past the stuff you know is a waste of your time. No worries about being polite ;-).

Tammie Jean said...

I'm not a big fan of political debate. Well, not on here anyway. I'm just looking to escape my workday a little - don't make me think too hard ;)

I do enjoy the way you describe it all, though.

Stucco said...

Gee, I wonder what got you on this line of thought? Heh. Remember Socrates- "The unexamined life is not worth living"

Scott from Oregon said...

Teehee.. No, Stucco yours was AFTER. I think there's something in the air that smells of politics, these days. Maybe it's just the tuna fish sandwich I can't find...

Scott from Oregon said...

"You'd think the liberals would get a clue that people really aren't nice at all. Including them."

I'd sure like to get a better handle on what this means. There seems to be a history behind these words...

Lizza said...

I'm apolitical most of the time. But that picture sure made me laugh.