Friday, July 29, 2011

Catchin' Da Momma...




I took the mumster down to town the other day to run errands (shop for make-up and wrinkle cream- the woman has her pride) and we went into Taylor's Sausage to grab a hotdog while we waited for a prescription to be filled.


Mum has been walking without her walker or a cane lately, but I stay nearby (and she doesn't like it) just in case.


As we were leaving, I was holding left-overs in a bag in one hand and Mum's unfinished soda in the other. I thought to myself, "if she stumbles, I don't have a hand free" so I put the coke up to my mouth and bit the rim. We were going out the front door and the door mat got caught up in Mum's shoes and she stumbled face first toward the floor.


Not sure how I got there, but I manged to leap forward five or six feet and grab her around the waste, just as her face got to about two feet from the floor. I held her like that until I could see again because the coke, of course, had splashed me in the eyes.

Momma just hung there, held by me (now with my hands around her ribcage), staring at the ground and she said "that was close"...

She hasn't minded me hanging close by while she walks in unfamiliar territory lately but we'll see how long that lasts.


The woman has her pride...

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Good thing you thought ahead. I've noticed lately how suddenly what seems to be sure footing - isn't. Give your Mum a hug for me.