Saturday, April 10, 2010

Blowing Snow From My Nose...


We've had some April snows 'round here where you go to bed with a lawn and wake up with a winter wonderland.

By evening you have a lawn again and maybe the next day is sunny and warm enough to wear a Tee on its own.

And through all of this I've been workin' on my addition and suffering through one of the worst rhinovirus episodes I can recall.

It feels like the universe's continuing struggle between good and evil decided to take the fight up inside my nose.

It's been like a Dr. Seuss book in there, with weird creatures going after each other and the dead being removed with a great trumpeting and a golden flowing river...

I learned that rhinoviruses thrive at about 33 degrees C, which is why they hang out in the nose and the very top of the lungs- both places a few degrees lower than body temperature due to the fact that we (when we can) breath in and out.

So if you want to kill the virus that causes the common cold, stop breathing...

The joke is Tiger (aka Cheetah) Woods, but the punchline is "with the best seller being the Tiger Woods' Titanium Shaft"...

Goin' skiin' tomorrow as possibly the last day of the season. I don't want the last thing I heard at the end of this ski season being "I think I found your hat!" which was what I heard a little over a week ago when on my last run of the day. Yeah, so while doing something like 35 miles an hour and setting up for a big S-turn, a cloud rolled over the ridge and produced perfect white-out conditions, making up and down one and the same and the looming trees that disappeared within the cloudy mist a frightening possibility to wrap my mind around...

"Remember Sonny Bono" is what I thought as I laid it all down in a huge, gesticulating pile of ski bits and body parts...

"I think I found your hat!" indeed...

1 comment:

dogbait said...

We're running out of beach days and the snow is getting thin for you. Life's not looking good.