Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Piriformis Syndrom And Other Odd Ends...

You give a chiropractor a couple of hundred bucks to "straighten you out" and you would think he'd have heard of this syndrom and shown me the very simple stretch to perform to (hopefully) alleviate the condition.

But instead I had the help of google, my own brain, and the ability to ask simple, logical questions and answer them as well...

One time doing the stretches and the pain in my arse has already mostly gone away.

And if I do them everyday?

Gosh, more than fifteen years ago a girl dropped me on my right, rear hip and I started having this problem, a sharp pain in my buttocks in what felt like two muscles, one on each side. The pain would jump back and forth and was sharp and painful enough it made me limp when I walked.

A muscle, probably slightly bigger than my thumb, was in contraction or spasm and the cure all this time (or so it seems) was this simple stretch not shown to me by any chiropractor I've ever seen about the problem.

Granted, they fix the problem by straightening out my hips making the muscle relax...

But I mean, come on fellas! Show people the damn stretch!

4 comments:

Shrinky said...

God, having been imobilised for three days by a muscle spasm in my lower back, I KNOW how excruciatinly painful this can be - the thought of it ever re-occuring makes me break out in a cold sweat.. I can't imagine the frustration you must feel to discover there is a way to prevent this, only no one saw fit (pardon the pun) to tell you.

Praise be to the Lord for Google, and a little initiative from your front, eh? Well done, that lad, bet it's a huge relief?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Maybe that will fix my lower back pain too! I'm sure any stretching would do it some good.

Calamity Jane said...

I know what a pain in the arse your piriformis causes, sometimes I feel like my left butt cheek down to my knee has just turned to concrete ... usually on long walk when I'm miles from home. It was made worse when I had a kidney transplant and the new kidney was placed low in my left abdomen and it interferes with the sciatic nerve. I got a few exercises from my physiotherapist similar to the ones on the film - I do the leg lift on a swiss ball rather than a fixed seat, helps a lot. She also used to press on the knot where the muscle bunches up which would gradually loosen. I like your blog by the way, just stumbled across it courtesy of Shrinky above.

Anonymous said...

Er, you understand that there is no scientific evidence that chiropractic does anything but empty wallets? And I say that as a real fan of the placebo effect.