Thursday, November 05, 2009

Tooth Pain And Rain...


I went to the dentist last week because a filling had come loose on a tooth of mine. He gave me a "patch" and set up an appointment for early this week. Between the patch and the filling, unluckily for me, it seemed all hell had broken loose inside my tooth.

I don't have a mouth full of fillings but I have had a couple of dental "incidences"
that resulted in two lost molars. Something hard I bit between them cracked them BOTH in half, and they had to be pulled.

On the positive side, the hole the two molars created was a perfect place to place my tongue when I was concentrating.

On the negative side, the hole the two molars created was a perfect place to place my tongue when I had nothing better to do and, when done in public, looked like I had something squirmy-crawly inside my mouth trying to burrow out through my cheek...

The trouble was, the teeth around the two gone missing were perfectly fine. Dentists wanted to cut the tops off of these perfectly fine teeth, kill the roots, and create a bridge over the gaps.

The thought of losing four perfectly fine teeth in order to fill a gap just seemed absurd to me.

So I waited it out, hoping for the price of "implants" to become affordable. I can see filling the gap with a fake tooth attached to my jaw... I just can't see paying eight grand (last time I checked) for the pair of them.

Anyhoo, last Friday night I went for a jog and then a shower and then a night out for a beer and to listen to some music. When I came home I felt "off", and when I awoke Saturday, my jaw was aflame. While waiting for my appointment to get my tooth refilled, the tooth had gone all abcessed on me and it hurt like hell.

This really isn't exciting information for anyone- but what the hell. I've been walking around with what felt like a giant four inch splinter in my face for the last four days, so the world has slowly stopped existing.

The anti-biotics I started taking on monday have done their job, and this morning I woke with- thankfully- no swelling and no pain and I can think and see clearly again.

Now... where was I...

Oh yeah... the rains are here.

4 comments:

dogbait said...

I too had a dentist visit this week. Had to have a couple of small fillings (the first for years) at the top front teeth and she asks if I want an injection.

I've seen too many of those torture scenes in the movies to say no thanks!

kario said...

Nothing more painful than that! I hate tooth issues. Kinda makes you understand why some people just rip 'em out and opt for tapioca...

Jeannie said...

I hate mouth pain. It's the worst.

Hope you get fixed up soon. I don't think implants are quite as expensive here - even at my most expensive dentist in town. - only $3600 each rather than $4000. Am I quibbling?

fairyhedgehog said...

That sucks. I'm glad you're feeling better now.