Saturday, May 23, 2009

Silly Belly...


I know, it's pretty silly to post pictures of one's belly on the internet...

I do it for personal motivation. I figure what the hell... losing weight seems to be a universal American concern.

So as from July 4th of last year until now, I've managed about 17 pounds (although I claim I've gained ten in muscle, especially in the legs).

I've dropped 3 inches in the waste.

My resting heart rate this morning was 46...

There is a fire road I used to go part way up when I first started riding my mountain bike. I would get to the first steep section and gas out. I'd stop, catch my breath and let my heart stop pounding. Then I got past that and gassed out at the second, steeper section.

I thought to myself- "If I can climb to the top of this road, I'll be in good shape". I set it as a goal. Out of curiousity, I got in my truck and drove up the fire road far past where I had been gassing out. The road just went up and up. There were steep sections and impossibly steep sections and they went on for a couple of miles, going up maybe 2000 feet to a ridge. I thought to myself- "No way. I better find a different goal."

I made it to the top yesterday without stopping. I just went up and up. The hill is so steep in many places the front wheel of the bicycle bounces around as it comes off the ground. It's so steep and long that I have to stop several times on the way down to rest my hands, as they're doing all they can to keep the breaks on and me from gaining speed and crashing.

"Imagine", I thought to myself, "how easy this would be if I lost 30 more pounds?"

12 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Yes! The weight and the fitness are a huge achievement. That hill sounds beyond tough.

writtenwyrdd said...

More than the weight, the fitness level improvement is impressive. You probably have lost a lot more bad weight (fat) than that 17 pounds. Muscle is something like twice the weight of fat, after all!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your progress - must feel great to be getting stronger.

Jeannie said...

Congrats! I know I'd never even attempt such a thing. But then I'm not sure we have anything that high around here - not even the ski hill

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

If only I had your drive.

Jean said...

Congratulations on reaching the goal.

Post alllllll the belly pics you want. ;-)

meno said...

Good for you Scott! I remember the feeling of finally making it up that one hill in Colorado without stopping! Euphoria!

Anne said...

Sounds like you're hooked.

....And you look g r e a t :)

Cheesy said...

Well it no longer qualifies as a belly! I see some ab-age!

Sweeti said...

Woo Hoo! That's great!
I need a trainer like you.

Unknown said...

270?! Oh wait, you guys don't use metric. Nevermind. :)

kario said...

I'm not worthy!!!