Friday, March 20, 2009

Ends And Odds...


My brother and I have a weight loss bet going. I called him on the phone the other day to see about coming down and helping him get Sandy's "stuff" in order before the bank comes for the house. He's been slammed with a new job (he sets up networks in new construction projects, meaning he runs LOTS of wires and is in the way of every other trade-- who then grumble about him causing him to work weekends and late to get out of their way...) and says the stress is making him put on weight. While we were talking, I heard the familiar static of an intercom...

*kshh..."Are you ready to order, sir?"

"Ummm, hang on..."

"Would you like to try a value meal today?"

I tried to help. I yelled "Go for the SALAD!!!" knowing full well he wanted to try a value meal.

As for our weight loss bet-- I'm winning.


I have American Idol Legs. I get on Mum's new recumbent bike and watch American Idol with her while I peddle. I crank up the resistance and don't rest during commercials. The two hour episodes actually make my legs sore...


Our carpet rose up in a bump in the hall next to the kitchen. One day I felt a squishyiness as I walked over it and the next day I felt a bubble that sank when I stepped on it. I tore back the carpet to take a look, and, upon further inspection, discovered that the dishwasher had been leaking for about six months or more. The good news is that most of the water pooled underneath it and then drained under the house where it was harmless. The bad news is that the particleboard underlayment- over time- wicked the water sideways and not only caused the swelling bump under the carpet, but started cracking the tiles in the kitchen floor.

The Kenmore dishwasher MELTED a hole in itself with its heating element on the bottom. My Mum's husband sits on a stool (he has a crushed vertebra) and loads and unloads the dishwasher (he's a guy who loves routines, what can I say) from the same side where he could never have discovered the hole.

The kitchen is tiny for the size of the house, so I figured I'd use the insurance money and expand the kitchen, adding six feet of counter space and a rack for pots and pans. It's been awhile since I've done any carpentry, so here goes...

7 comments:

Jeannie said...

A wonderful new project! Take pictures!

Anonymous said...

I was at a friends 2 story house recently and noticed a slight bulge in the kitchen ceiling (you know what's coming here, don't you!).

Yep, he stuck a pole through the ceiling and got a soaking from the leaking shower upstairs. Left him and his insurance company to it.

If you want to bring your hammer and nail bag over here, I could put you to good use.

Cheesy said...

Water damage is a nightmare... I hope you have sweeter dreams when the project starts!

meno said...

I know you are going to win, what with AI legs and all.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

God, don't you hate it when those unexpected things pop up...If I could I'd live in a concrete house.

Shrinky said...

We had such a lucky roll when we moved into our present house when we ripped up the old carpeting in the master bedroom to replace with floorboard. Turned out the en-suite bathroom shower had been seeping for years beneath the floor, rotting the existing floorboards in the loo, bedroom, right through into the dressing room. Everything we had been planning to rip out and replace the insurance covered for us; new bathroom, fitted wardrobes, floorboards, window seats, right through to the tiling and re-wallpapering throughout.

Sadly, the insurance company declined to renew our insurance the following year.. smile. Good luck with the carpentry, I'm sure it'll be fab when it's done.

kario said...

Never a dull moment...