Monday, January 19, 2009

Too Cynical To Hope...



Inauguration is here and I'm wondering why I don't share in the excitement that I catch in glimpses on CNN and MSNBC?




Hordes of people jubilant that Barack Obama will be taking over the White House from the simple man himself.




I suppose the fact that G. W. Bush is gone should make me smile, but he was such a defeated man in the end you sort of enjoyed the spectacle. Having him squirm in the office he once gloated over actually gave me a warm and fuzzy glow of justice being served, the satisfaction that finally overcomes the feeling of helplessness one has while watching him for eight years from the sidelines.




So "Ding Dong... the witch is dead..."




...and all that.




Now we've got this new guy.




And a whole bunch of all the other folks we've seen before...




And I'm not feelin' it.




10 comments:

Blogless Troll said...

C'mon, Scott. Get with the program, man. You're supposed to express nothing but hope and change and optimism and stuff. Sure, his entire cabinet is made up of retreads from last century who helped create many of the problems he now vows to fix. But that was last century. These people are entirely new to this century. Things that happened before 2000 are so old they might as well have never happened, because, er... hope, change, optimism, and stuff!

Sweeti said...

I'm not excited either.

Anonymous said...

Not me. I'm ecstatic about it.

Jeannie said...

I was informed by a client today that his wife is all gaga over Obama.

Meanwhile, our own government may be overthrown and no one is even talking about it.

Cheesy said...

I am excited that we the people may now have an actual chance to be heard. We will see but I am doing the freekin" HAPPY dance to say so long to W.

JamieSmitten said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling it. Because it feels damn good! Kind of like waking up from a very bad dream to realize that tomorrow did indeed arrive. I DO believe that good change will come. So let's talk again in a few years when President Obama has had a chance to prove himself, o.k.? I bet you are feeling it then!

kario said...

I'm optimistic now that he's in the White House. Not because I think he's some God or anything, but because I think he has the ability to remind us that we each carry some degree of responsibility in what becomes of us. I think his heart is in the right place. The beauracracy, I'm not optimistic about, but the Americans who can demand more of it? I hope they get off their butts and begin demanding.

writtenwyrdd said...

I feel what you describe somewhat, Scott. And watching W squirm (deflated is such a good adjective to describe him in recent months) was such a nasty little enjoyment.

But President Obama seems to be a man who not only can say nuclear properly, he thinks about things and listens to others who have expertise in their fields. I think, at the very least, he'll be rational and not a dry drunk with issues using a whole economy for wish fulfillment.

Shrinky said...

I do feel kinda' glad all the hoopla is about to die down at last, can I go back to sleep now?

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for the first time ever. Something has got to change - I'm hoping this is it.