Saturday, November 29, 2008

Down At The Gym--



Years ago, I worked with an old fellow named Bob. Whenever you called Bob after hours, his wife would answer and invariably say "Oh, you know Bob... He's down at the gym."




Eventually, I figured out she meant "Jim's Bar".




Speaking of gym's, I've got Mum enrolled in some PT to help get her strength up. She's tall with long legs. Wobbly falls are a long way down, so we're hoping to knock that off with some gym work. I call this machine the "Christie Brinkley, because it is like the one she sells with Chuck Norris on television. They put that red ball between her legs to keep her old knees from knocking...




Speaking of gym work, here's my "total gym" hanging in our motorhome-port. One bar and a seat, connected by a cable that runs through a pulley. The trick is to sit in the seat and do pull ups. The cable reduces the pull-up by exactly half, so I am doing pull ups at 143 pounds at the moment. I started with three reps of ten, and now I'm doing five reps of twenty. For my next trick, I'll hang a bucket full of rocks under the seat and eventually just move into regular pull-ups.




There is a design flaw, however. The two holes I drilled in the seat are far enough apart that when I sit down, my nuts can fall between the two cables. Once these cables are weighted, they have a tendency to squeeze together, causing great discomfort.



Yeah. I know...


My legs are feeling good these days. My shoulders are starting to feel good. My next gym piece will be two arms that I can do dips from, with ends that poke up into handles that I can do stomach crunches by lifting the legs upward from three angles...
The belly is the problem here, and I suppose it is time to start those abs of foam routines...
In case I meet Christie Brinkley at Jim's Bar...

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

You are so clever. Nice to be living somewhere you can get away with installing such contraptions.

Cheesy said...

I think you should start selling memberships!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

When I was rehabbing from my shoulder surgery, I watched stroke victims striving for just one more rep. It was hard to watch at times and I dread the day...

Good post my friend.

I need to work out myself these days, but just too freakin' lazy!

kario said...

You think your nuts are uncomfortable now - just wait until you hang that bag of rocks from 'em. Er, I mean the seat.