Friday, September 12, 2008

Strokin' The Good Life...




This is one of my favorite TED Talk's. Coincidentally, it is a talk given by a nueroscientist about her own stroke. As I was looking for it to gain some insight into my momma's stroke, I rewatched it and found it worth sharing.


Momma can count as fast as I can but she can't do math in her head with those numbers. She can sing all her old favorite songs but she has trouble finding nouns to complete her sentences.


I threw the ball for the dog...


Momma thinks, "I threw the ball for" and then finds a blank space in her mind where the dog would be.


But she can say "The dog found the..." and she'd then have trouble finding "ball".


It is coming back, her stroke damage was not as bad as it could have been.


I asked her today if she understood everything I was telling her.


She said "Yes, same old ..."


"Rubbish?"


"Yes."


She understood...

6 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Glad she's doing better! And, gorgeous photos!

You still need to send me your snail mail addy so I can send you the prize, Scott!

Cheesy said...

Is mom home??

Jeannie said...

Thanks for the link - fascinating.

Hope your Mom keeps improving.

Jean said...

Can't imagine how frustrating it must be for her. Glad she's making progress.

She's blessed to have you there.

Sabra said...

Sorry to hear this about your Mom, Scott. Sincerely hope that recovery will be in the short term - for you, both!

kario said...

I love this video, too. What an amazing insight into the mind of a stroke patient! What a lucky woman your mother is to have you around to anticipate her difficulties. You are a gem, Scott.