Monday, September 01, 2008

Momma's Got A Thing For A Singing Doc...


Mum is still in the hospital, sitting up with a tv remote and almost all of her thoughts. She has some aphasia, which means she has trouble making her words work for her, but even that is coming back rather remarkably. The clot buster was successful.

We had a new doc today who came in singing an old song. Mum instantly hit it off with him-- apparently, she knew the words too.

Tomorrow she goes to bootcamp where they really work her hard with therapy for at least a week.

Speaking of both Mum and bootcamp, I inherited skinny calves from Mum's side of the family. Her favorite book title of all time was "Skinny Legs And All".

Well, I got 'em too, though I preferred "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" for the best title of a novel.

I told Mum today that I got my little calves back from all the walking I've been doing. "One pair of muscles down, about a hundred to go..."

Mum knew why that was such an important first step. With the two of us, the calves are the first thing to fatigue. Running, walking, climbing stairs...

So getting those little guys in shape was a great start. If I can keep the inflammation out of my back, I can actually start running for distance soon.

This is all boring stuff, I know, but I've got to drop to 245 before my bro hits 235. That's just the way we brothers roll...

Nothing ever really changes...

9 comments:

travistee said...

glad to hear mum is doing better. and good luck on the calf-slimming. let me know what works. i've got strong irish legs, and always wanted me some skinny calves...

kario said...

Gotta love the singing doctor! Even if he/she can't carry a tune, the fact that the impulse is there is priceless.

Glad to hear your mum's on the mend and you've got your calves back. I'm rooting for you!

Jeannie said...

It's great that your mum's getting better - must be a relief.

Wouldn't know what skinny calves were like - mine are enormous and always have been. Except that when I was young it was all muscle. I have never been able to buy those sexy zip up boots.

Loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I think I was 11 when I read it.

Sweeti said...

Glad your moms getting better and the clot is busted up, I hope her recovery goes as smoothly.

Anonymous said...

All the best for your mother's recovery. I'm puzzled that you use the word "mum" and not "mom" that I thought was common your way.

Shrinky said...

tell your mum we're all rooting for her, and that her son happens to own a great set of legs!

Anonymous said...

This is great news, Scott. From all I have heard, that clot buster is nothing short of a miracle drug. I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts. I'm still thinking of Sandy and I hope all is going well for her.

Cheesy said...

Hug Mommers for the cheesy one...
Catching up this morning on your posts... sorry to hear she is having woes!
but~~
WTG skinny!

Anonymous said...

All Mums, especially those who are/used to be nurses, have a thing for certain doctors. Believe me!