Friday, April 27, 2007

Quick! What Rhymes With Maggie?


OK Maggie, I'll tell you how I spontaneously combusted, but I have to confess the teaser is far more gloriously amusing than the telling, at least for me.


But first, and since I'm trying to bring my act a little more blogger mainstream, you have to read my poetry first...


hehehe Aaachoo!

Oh! God Bless me!








--Little Bird Lost--

You were a soft
swatch of stone
in the harsh rocks.
Dainty,
I could have easily
snubbed you
like a Marlboro butt
with my shoes
going nowhere
in a hurry.

I don’t know why
but I stopped
and
you became a bird
hiding
almost hidden
lost in the homogeneity
huddled with
your feathers ruffled
frightened of men.

When I touched you
you followed my probing
with your dark eyes
while in my mind, black
sinister cats loomed
on all sides
getting jazzed.

There was little life
in you
little bird, so
diminutive and fragile
it was indeed a dare
on my part
to wrap these
paw-like hands
upon you,
to attempt a rescue
to tuck you under
my chin whispering life
in mute sentences.

Above were rows
of closed windows.
I understood something.
Above were flocks
flying freely.
I wept in sympathy.

Little bird lost.

If I let you go
-I have to let you go,
you see, I have to go-

Would you survive?


As for the spontaneous combustion story-- I was building a fancy door in a winery, and trying to make it look like all the other fancy doors, and putting a coat of boiled linseed oil on it with a rag.

Now, legend has it, that oily rags will ignite if wadded up and left in tight balls in piles somewhere, which I had heard of but never seen. So, being the conscientious carpenter that I was, and being that the winery was an old hop kiln that had been converted and was made in large part by old and dry wood, I thought I better keep tabs on the rag until I was finished with what I was doing. I wadded it up and put it in my tool belt, and then got busy talking to Gary, the famous winemaker, about other projects.

Fast forward about an hour and I was back discussing something with Gary down in the cellar. It was cold and damp down there and everything you said had a bathroom echo to it. We were talking about adding a tank online to a cooling system, or something, and Gary simply asked me the obvious when the obvious occurred.

"Are you on fire?"

"Oh shit! I am!"

The rag had ignited and was burning a hole in the leather tool pouch from the inside out.

I'd love to tell you I jumped into a vat of wine and put it out, but I didn't, due to the CO2 that would kill me if I did.

I simply dumped the contents of my pouch out, and stamped on the sucker until there was no life in it anymore.

Gary said something like-- "Did you kill it?"

And I said something like "I think so."

The story did spread around the winery like wildfire, though, adding to my list of goofies...

11 comments:

Jeannie said...

I guess you proved it true!

So maybe all those crazy instances of spontaneous combustion that are out there are people stowing away rags soaked in linseed oil.

CS said...

Does it count if sometimes I feel like I'm going to spontaneously combust or have my head suddenly explode at work? No? Okay, your work is more exciting than mine.

Cheesy said...

Good info.. Ill remember that it I ever get the urge to boil linseed oil!

Cheesy said...

OOps... and btw I thought the poem was bittersweet.... Now I know why you cry....

Anonymous said...

And you think I'm a loon?

You insult the Japanese Mafia, set fire to yourself, hurl yourself down steep inclines and have fantasies about naked carpentry (to name but a few)?

Sure, I'm the crazy one.

LadyBronco said...

*snort*

Good thng you didn't have a lighter in that toolbelt - a naked carpentry acident would have had nothing on an exploding lighter in your pocket!

Lynnea said...

Thank you Scott. I feel better now. You have the wildest adventures - even if they seem like a let down to you. I mean really, how many people can say that a rag just caught fire spontaneously in their pocket?

Lynnea said...

Man, I'm sorry I got distracted by your story and forgot I wanted to say stuff about your poem. I like it a lot. I didn't realize you were a poet. I like this phrase: "life in mute sentences". The second stanza has a great use of alliteration that really quiets the poem and moves the flow. But the fourth stanza halts me a little. The flow gets a little choppy there. In the end its wonderful imagery.

Scott from Oregon said...

Hi Maggie! Yeah, I write really good, exceptionally mediocre poetry. They come in and tap me on my shoulder and I obediently write them down. My muse, though, is a sixth grader who prefers marbles to mining the deeper depths. He never seems to want to grow up, so I keep him in a drawer most days.

Anonymous said...

You should go on mythbusters & prove your story!!

skinnylittleblonde said...

So, I'm wondering if the rag really did spontaneously combust or if you inadvertantly added some natural gases to the mix or something?