Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Wanting All Of This To Compute

My Mum is feeling better which is a YAY! for our side type of thing, but with that, comes the cantankerous side and the desire for her to have as much of her life back as possible. That means I am getting the boot. The squeeze is on. The looks of consternation and impatience rising....

I am getting thrown off of her computer and am going to have to make my connections elsewhere.

Which is OK since my overhead is low, these days, and I am working pretty steady-steady. I have money to spend on such things as a nice system with features I want and some bells and whistles to keep me from wanting to go out and chase women all over Southern Oregon...

But the big problem is, I am still a frugal and spendthrifty type, who would rather spend three hundred bucks on a week of goofing off than on a thing, so I am reluctant to just go out and buy more than I need...

All this to confess that I am not a computer savvy guy. Oh, sure, I have learned a few things over the last few years, because I am not dumb, but I am still just a big lug who pounds on computer keys and the side of the machine sometimes, trying to fix a "glitch"...

I decided that the place for me was Dell's scratch and dents. I can't get anything nice around me that I don't scratch and dent anyway, so I might as well start sooner than later, and save some money. So I go to their site, and I am overwhelmed with choices...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That is my brain on choices.

Now I know stucco has a monster in his basement, and a certain irrevelant elephant does IT type of stuff... and some of you others...

If you were to go to Dell in a handbasket, and you wanted a computer that did normal stuff fast and could handle photoshop well, what box would you choose?

I just need a new box, all the other stuff I got.

Anyone?

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

none said...

We won a basic dell in a raffle a few months back.

It is a Dell dimension 3000, 64 athalon. It comes loaded with pretty much everything
including DVD and CD burner, windows, decent on board graphics and sound. When you plug it all in
it connects directly to the internet with no fuss.

The downside is that the vid card is not upgradable in case you want to do some big time professional graphics and it only has one extra memory slot in case you want to go past 512mb.

So, if you see one like it at the scratch n dent it's not a half bad choice.

Stucco said...

The Dells aren't necessarily bad, but at the same time, I dunno that I'd rush to call them good. My bet is that any old system (measured in GHz, that is) would it your need. A lappy would be a good bet, although the video may be a limitation for photoshop, etc. I'd recommend a Mac, but being that you are price sensitive, I don't think you'd get past the sticker. The thing with the Dell that you need to be aware of in advance is that the support is world class awful. If you never need to call them, or if your computer bursts into flame, you should have an easy support call. Anything else ought to be pretty insufferable.

Scott from Oregon said...

Thanks for that info, Hammer. And stucco, who knew you were a Macdaddy? I can't even go near a Mac without feeling like I am in the presence of an alien life form.

I am looking seriously at an xp410 tower with duo and other goodies for about 650 bucks.

The one thing I want it to do well is images, and it seems to do that well.

Anyone disagree with that?

If my computer breaks, stucco, I'll light it on fire. Think Dell will listen then?

Unknown said...

I've been going strictly homemade for years and I love it. Of course it helps that my husband works for Intel and has open access to recycling bins full of parts that he can fix and get up and running for free. hahhahaa

Try to get something with a Core 2 Duo or Quad Core Duo processor... man, I just got a little moist thinking about that.

Smalltown RN said...

Oh to funny....I should introduce my hubby to Dell scratch and dent...that is him through and through....