Monday, December 04, 2006

BLOWLOG BLOG

Posted by Picasa I was kicking around ideas with my computer guru Nevins, who lives in Indonesia, and I started to think of blog names and I wondered how close to "blog" I could get without running into a taken blog name. Well, ever hear of a blowlog? This is a photo of one in all its glory, doing what it is supposed to do-- give a spectacular spectacle to your bonfire amid your drinking buddies and guitar playing pals and nervous women folk and uncorraled kids. What it is, is a section of rotten log where the heart of the log is mostly rotted out and the exterior is still intact. This is stood up on the top of a fire and then a hole is bored in the bottom of it and then it feeds itself as it puts out amazing flames and sparks and a roaring whoosh as it draws really hard from the hole you made....



People hunt these as a sport, as you can see from this next photo. Amazing, the things that people do to create ambience and mortal danger...



I liked the name so much I registered a blog to keep the name for future use. I figure it would make a great community blog name, but haven't progressed much in my thoughts for its future. For now, I have a blog I call BLOWLOG that fulminates in silence awaiting a future that is too dark to see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a pyromaniac, just so you know.

Aren't there bears or something in your parts that you could hunt without potentially placing women and children directly in the face of imminent peril??

Huh??

Scott from Oregon said...

You CANOE CLUB people might appreciate this story--

http://aeleope.blogspot.com/2006/10/jonnie-d-and-over-inflated-tahiti.html

Just cut and paste it. II'm too lazy to make proper links...

Hope you are still making great blowlogs out there in the wilderness. I'd love to join you...

Anonymous said...

Dang - don't I look cute sitting on that log. Remember, it's not a real fire unless you can see it from outer space.